Download our food journal and start taking control of your food consumption and more starting today.Daily Food Journal
Studies show that using a food journal increases a person’s chance of being successful with dietary changes. It will make you much more mindful of the calories in your diet. You will learn how many calories certain foods contain, and how all the calories add up throughout the day. This will help you make healthier, lower calorie choices, and know how much you actually consume on a daily basis.
How to use a Food Journal
Use the note pad application on your smart phone or tablet to record your daily intakes. Other methods: download a food journaling application, create an excel workbook to track the data.
1. Create a new note. Include the following variables:
- Food description
- Amount eaten
- Calories, feelings
- Hunger level.
2. Record everything you eat at the time you consume it. Fully describe everything you eat in detail (example: ½ chicken breast, 1 cup skim milk, 12 ounces of water, 1 power bar…. etc)
3. Record your emotions; what you are thinking, feeling, and hunger level at the time you eat each food or meal.
At the end of each day:
1. Add up the number of calories you ate for the day. Is the amount higher, lower, or about the same as you recommended calorie intake goal?
2. Circle the three foods that are highest in calories, then reduce further intake of these foods, and replace them with healthier foods.
3. Review your feelings, thoughts, hunger notes. Did you eat only when you were hungry? Did certain emotions trigger you to eat when you were not hungry?